Well, it has been a blessed and good month for me personally. As the saying goes: Calmness comes after the storm; light comes after dark. After months of anxiety episodes and frustrations, the rat year of 2008 has finally brought me to the greener pastures.
First, I had a great time of celebration in conjunction of my birthday and my graduation which were only a few days apart. Besides the fact that I was showered with lots and lots of gift, this two occasions has made me realize how blessed and lucky I am. I shared this historical moment with my loved ones and closest friends, that’s the most important part. I must thank my parents, Josh, Eric, Chandran, Zuliana, lab mates and debate mates coming to my convocation (IN THE RAIN!). Yup, it was raining and it was a wet affair. Despite the weather disappointing me, I was comforted by all the love, smiles, and warmth (and of course presents and 4 bouquets of flowers! Hehe..) that everyone showed to me.
Even in a short period of 30 minutes in the rain taking pictures, I learnt a profound lesson. I told my dad: “Dad, the people you see just now during my convocation are the only circle of friends I have in UM. Now you know your daughter is anti-social." My always quick to response and smarty pants boyfriend retorted by saying, “It doesn’t matter la, at least you know that they are your true friends.” (That’s why I call him smart @$$ sometimes.. Hehe..). I must say, these people I mentioned have played a significant role in my life, be it friendship, guidance, advice, fun, care, love or support. I am truly blessed for having such great people in my life. In conclusion, that was the highlight, birthday and graduation; you don’t get that many times in your life. Hehe. (Actually, I am hoping for one more in 3 years’ time).
Secondly, I finally got a scholarship, thank God. The moment I saw an email subject in my inbox that read: SKIM BIASISWAZAH UNIVERSITI MALAYA (SBUM); my heart skipped a beat, not knowing the outcome of my application. I took a deep breathe and opened the mail and thankfully my application went through and as of now, I have submitted the contract and officially registered as a PhD student. Oh no, I’m a student again L and this time no semester breaks! AAAArrrggghhhhh….
On top of this good turn, I was offered an interview for another scholarship, the Yang Di Pertuan Agong Scholarship by JPA. I thank God for opening doors as I make the transition into postgraduate studies. Of course, the decision of choosing only one will be tricky and delicate. As we know, contracts come with clauses, rules, regulations and agreements. Oh, BTW, as a student you can only have ONE scholarship/allowance source at one time. Now that I have signed a contract, if I happen to get the YDPA scholarship, sure got lots of procedures and repercussions. I am just hoping for the best.
Third, work seems to be going well. I know this won’t sound interesting to some but the crop I am working on for my PhD is being very co-operative. The most worrying part of my project was the molecular work and getting good DNA out of the fruit which has 80% water content. Usually, it is very difficult and almost unfeasible to extract good DNA samples from fruits/crops with a high content of water but looks like this problem is not in my sample! Hehe. There’s so much to learn to finish up my postgrad. It’s like doing another undergraduate degree in biotech and doing a doctorate at the same time. Well, I was a biohealth student. Sometimes it just so tiring and depressing because there’s so much to cope, learn and catch up with other lab mates but I am pressing forward as much as I can. I hope all will work out fine and finish up in 3 years’ time. Hehe.
Oh, it’s cempedak season!!!! YAY!!! I love cempedak. This love affair nearly killed me though. I bought some cempedak fruit slices on the way back to college and while I was still driving, I thought: Ok la, let’s have one slice and I put it into my mouth. Next thing I know, I was choking on the seed and flesh of the cempedak, and everything that happened in the car is a bit too disgusting to discuss in public sphere. In short, another well learnt lesson, be patient and don’t think you can manage a whole slice of cempedak while driving. I am still alive, luckily. Hehe
In conclusion to this post, God’s been good to me and I pray for His favour to be upon me always. I’ll write more next few days (HOPEFULLY! Hehe…) I wish everyone a good day and best wishes.
Lots of love,
Becca
Shout outs:
Mom and Dad: Thanks for everything, you guys are the best!
Charis and John: Thank for being the coolest siblings anyone can have.
Josh: Thanks for loving me and being a big part of my life.
Chandran: Thanks for being a great friend and a great boss to work with
Zuliana: Thanks for your unconditional and honest friendship
Lab mates and debate mates: Thanks for your friendship and continuous support
Yip: WRITE UP your paper! Hehe
First, I had a great time of celebration in conjunction of my birthday and my graduation which were only a few days apart. Besides the fact that I was showered with lots and lots of gift, this two occasions has made me realize how blessed and lucky I am. I shared this historical moment with my loved ones and closest friends, that’s the most important part. I must thank my parents, Josh, Eric, Chandran, Zuliana, lab mates and debate mates coming to my convocation (IN THE RAIN!). Yup, it was raining and it was a wet affair. Despite the weather disappointing me, I was comforted by all the love, smiles, and warmth (and of course presents and 4 bouquets of flowers! Hehe..) that everyone showed to me.
Even in a short period of 30 minutes in the rain taking pictures, I learnt a profound lesson. I told my dad: “Dad, the people you see just now during my convocation are the only circle of friends I have in UM. Now you know your daughter is anti-social." My always quick to response and smarty pants boyfriend retorted by saying, “It doesn’t matter la, at least you know that they are your true friends.” (That’s why I call him smart @$$ sometimes.. Hehe..). I must say, these people I mentioned have played a significant role in my life, be it friendship, guidance, advice, fun, care, love or support. I am truly blessed for having such great people in my life. In conclusion, that was the highlight, birthday and graduation; you don’t get that many times in your life. Hehe. (Actually, I am hoping for one more in 3 years’ time).
Secondly, I finally got a scholarship, thank God. The moment I saw an email subject in my inbox that read: SKIM BIASISWAZAH UNIVERSITI MALAYA (SBUM); my heart skipped a beat, not knowing the outcome of my application. I took a deep breathe and opened the mail and thankfully my application went through and as of now, I have submitted the contract and officially registered as a PhD student. Oh no, I’m a student again L and this time no semester breaks! AAAArrrggghhhhh….
On top of this good turn, I was offered an interview for another scholarship, the Yang Di Pertuan Agong Scholarship by JPA. I thank God for opening doors as I make the transition into postgraduate studies. Of course, the decision of choosing only one will be tricky and delicate. As we know, contracts come with clauses, rules, regulations and agreements. Oh, BTW, as a student you can only have ONE scholarship/allowance source at one time. Now that I have signed a contract, if I happen to get the YDPA scholarship, sure got lots of procedures and repercussions. I am just hoping for the best.
Third, work seems to be going well. I know this won’t sound interesting to some but the crop I am working on for my PhD is being very co-operative. The most worrying part of my project was the molecular work and getting good DNA out of the fruit which has 80% water content. Usually, it is very difficult and almost unfeasible to extract good DNA samples from fruits/crops with a high content of water but looks like this problem is not in my sample! Hehe. There’s so much to learn to finish up my postgrad. It’s like doing another undergraduate degree in biotech and doing a doctorate at the same time. Well, I was a biohealth student. Sometimes it just so tiring and depressing because there’s so much to cope, learn and catch up with other lab mates but I am pressing forward as much as I can. I hope all will work out fine and finish up in 3 years’ time. Hehe.
Oh, it’s cempedak season!!!! YAY!!! I love cempedak. This love affair nearly killed me though. I bought some cempedak fruit slices on the way back to college and while I was still driving, I thought: Ok la, let’s have one slice and I put it into my mouth. Next thing I know, I was choking on the seed and flesh of the cempedak, and everything that happened in the car is a bit too disgusting to discuss in public sphere. In short, another well learnt lesson, be patient and don’t think you can manage a whole slice of cempedak while driving. I am still alive, luckily. Hehe
In conclusion to this post, God’s been good to me and I pray for His favour to be upon me always. I’ll write more next few days (HOPEFULLY! Hehe…) I wish everyone a good day and best wishes.
Lots of love,
Becca
Shout outs:
Mom and Dad: Thanks for everything, you guys are the best!
Charis and John: Thank for being the coolest siblings anyone can have.
Josh: Thanks for loving me and being a big part of my life.
Chandran: Thanks for being a great friend and a great boss to work with
Zuliana: Thanks for your unconditional and honest friendship
Lab mates and debate mates: Thanks for your friendship and continuous support
Yip: WRITE UP your paper! Hehe
1 comment:
I'm glad everything worked out your way. God is good all the time! And all the times, God is good!
Post a Comment