- My salvation
- Being alive
- My loving parents and awesome siblings (though they’re a prick sometimes)
- My 80 years old grandpa and still going strong
- My darling Joshua
- Eyes to see my nephews growing up so fast
- Ears to enjoy lots and lots and lots of music ( I love music..)
- Sense to taste the sinfully amazing MARS bar (Guilty as charge, but but but I only took HALF a MARS bar.. Hehe)
- Sense to feel Mikayla’s soft baby skin and grandpa’s wrinkled skin
- Sense to smell the fresh toasty bread in the bakery
These are 10 things out of many others I want to thank God for. I had nothing out of ordinary day like any other 24 years old young lady would on a beautiful Sunday but I think what I pondered upon at the end of the day makes me just a lil tiny incey-wincey different. While in church, in complete faith, I thank God for His gift of salvation. Today made me realize that being alive and well and is already a super duper blessing. I’m not starving, nice clothes, a car, a great family and I’ve got most what I need (and want to certain extent).
I had the pleasure to lunch with someone very special today: My Grandpa. He’s 80 this September and I predict he’ll live up to 100! It’s nice to sit and listen to your elders reminisce about their younger days, their frustration, their pride in their children & grandkids and their hopes for the future. I sat and looked at my grandpa very carefully today. I am so sad how age has caught up on him. I’ve not done this in my life before and I am guilty. I’ve never once brought him to lunch or take a stroll in a shopping mall, buy him a Baskin Robbins ice cream or get him some food stuff or finding out his favourite dishes. But I am proud to say that I’ve done that all in a day! As I am writing this, I’m trying to hold back my tears. I know one day, he’ll join my grandma in heaven and my parents would follow suite. I am the type that don’t do well with changes, partings and deaths. Just the thought of losing my grandpa or my parents is devastating. Confession: I’m already crying right now as I am writing this entry. My grandpa told me he only finished Standard 4, went to a Chinese school, fell in love with my grandma and got married at 22, had my uncle (his first child) at 23, drove busses and lorries all his life to support his 5 children and he loves eating! I thank God for giving this opportunity to get to my grandpa much better.
All this while he was living with my 3rd aunt in Kepong and I am not going to make excuses for myself. I’ve not visited him in last 3 years even though PJ is quite bloody near, unless my mom’s in town and we go visit him or it’s Chinese New Year. I feel like a “derhaka” grandkid. He didn’t even know I have a boyfriend! Sigh. I would really like to get to know my grandpa more and not take him for granted. I’ve never got to know my other grandparents closely cos they’ve all passed when I was very young. My one last standing grandpa’s got all the lines, wrinkles, brown spots and rough hands that showed me that his life was not an easy one. I am sure he wants to live the last bits of his time on earth with his family around and show him that he’s appreciated. Good people out there, be grateful for your loved ones and even though parents/grandparents got their short comings, they brought you to life, without them you’re nothing.
As I thought about aging, losing my sanity, getting all wrinkly, losing my memories, losing my loved ones and all the losing stuff, my depression was consoled by the hope when I looked at Lemuel’s and Melanie’s gorgeous little girl, Mikayla and my two handsome toddler nephews, Isaac and Isaias. The circle of life. Some lives end while others start at the other end of the line. Their angelic faces and cute smiles tell me: “It’s ok. Life’s just like that. We will continue the legacy of the human race and try to make the world a better place for our children”. Kids are so adorable and if you actually look at them carefully, you can see YOUR hopes and dreams IN them (At least I do). I pray that the future will hold great things for my children and all other kids sleeping soundly now, snuggled tightly in their blankets.
I have crap load of stuff to do at work tomorrow. I had myself scheduled by the hour what to do and what settle first, what goes before and after lunch. Crazy Monday for me! Hehe. Signing out now. I want to write more but my entire being is calling for rest before another busy week ahead.
Hugs and Kisses.
With hopes and prayers,
Becca.
Becca Recommends: I Will Be Here by Steven Curtis Chapman
No comments:
Post a Comment