Some of you may already know. I am going through a tough and rough time these last few days. The sad fact of life suddenly dawned upon me when I realized that I was severely deprived of what I truly deserve after almost 4 years of hard work. After finishing my very last exam paper to complete my undergraduate, my whole being was filled with high hopes to pursue further in education. With my academic results, extra curricular activities and qualifications, I thought I was good enough to secure at least a scholarship. I was wrong, very wrong. My dad and some of his friends had suggested that I should try to apply for a place in Singapore, maybe higher chance to get in there. Isn’t that ironic? I am a sad human being as Judson would call me. I actually am very much in love with my uni and my birth country. I told myself that I would fight tooth and nail to exhaust all channels and possibilities to get a chance to remain in my motherland.
Sadly, this love affair is not reciprocal and reality is not treating me too well thus far. I got the offer letter to my PhD but without a scholarship (which I actually deserve), it is real tough to finance myself the next 3 years in KL. To make things worse, the small portion allocated is now further divided to support and fund non citizen students. This is a policy and strategy which I cannot accept and I would deem absurd. This is not the right way to spend our tax payer’s money which is meant to help and aid our deserving citizens. The best part is, the preferential treatment that exists openly right now is not only frustrating; it’s demoralizing for our local students and you’ll be amazed how easily they get the scholarship. One that I know of, didn’t even need to go for an interview. I didn’t even GET the chance to fight it out in an interview. Tell me about fairness and the new policy of “trying our best to stop brain drain”.
At the end of the day, I will not stop pursuing what I love to do which is to teach and contribute to the academia. We definitely have a pool of talented and excellent student in our very own soil but we are not even given the opportunity to showcase what we can contribute back to our own society. I’m sorry. I am beginning to think that the grass is definitely greener on the other side. It’s silly if you think about it. You actually invite (I think to some extent begged) and generously (and freely) give away scholarships while sidelining your own students, just to go up one or two notch in the academic field (barely) and then you say we’ll be on par with first world countries. Oh please. Students want to go there because of the quality of education they have, no need invitation, fight for scholarships fair and square. Big names are international without effort because they have what it takes to BE international and appeal to students across the world. You cannot run before you can crawl. Such simple concept/principle cannot be missed. Go figure.
I think if particular parties still cannot understand the gravity of the situation I am discussing here, good luck with your attempt of “trying our best to stop brain drain” epidemic. I will continue my battle of searching for a hope that will enable me to stay close to home. One day when I am all beaten and tired, I shall then give up, surrender, put up my white flag and say: I’m going now, you win. I guess that’s just how the way things work around here. I am very exhausted already right now, mentally, physically and emotionally.
Sadly, this love affair is not reciprocal and reality is not treating me too well thus far. I got the offer letter to my PhD but without a scholarship (which I actually deserve), it is real tough to finance myself the next 3 years in KL. To make things worse, the small portion allocated is now further divided to support and fund non citizen students. This is a policy and strategy which I cannot accept and I would deem absurd. This is not the right way to spend our tax payer’s money which is meant to help and aid our deserving citizens. The best part is, the preferential treatment that exists openly right now is not only frustrating; it’s demoralizing for our local students and you’ll be amazed how easily they get the scholarship. One that I know of, didn’t even need to go for an interview. I didn’t even GET the chance to fight it out in an interview. Tell me about fairness and the new policy of “trying our best to stop brain drain”.
At the end of the day, I will not stop pursuing what I love to do which is to teach and contribute to the academia. We definitely have a pool of talented and excellent student in our very own soil but we are not even given the opportunity to showcase what we can contribute back to our own society. I’m sorry. I am beginning to think that the grass is definitely greener on the other side. It’s silly if you think about it. You actually invite (I think to some extent begged) and generously (and freely) give away scholarships while sidelining your own students, just to go up one or two notch in the academic field (barely) and then you say we’ll be on par with first world countries. Oh please. Students want to go there because of the quality of education they have, no need invitation, fight for scholarships fair and square. Big names are international without effort because they have what it takes to BE international and appeal to students across the world. You cannot run before you can crawl. Such simple concept/principle cannot be missed. Go figure.
I think if particular parties still cannot understand the gravity of the situation I am discussing here, good luck with your attempt of “trying our best to stop brain drain” epidemic. I will continue my battle of searching for a hope that will enable me to stay close to home. One day when I am all beaten and tired, I shall then give up, surrender, put up my white flag and say: I’m going now, you win. I guess that’s just how the way things work around here. I am very exhausted already right now, mentally, physically and emotionally.
Good night. Sweet dreams.
Hugs and Kisses,
Becca
Hugs and Kisses,
Becca
2 comments:
lol.... I understand how you feel. I've got tons of friends who are geniuses but are financially challenged. They failed to get any help financially in Malaysia. They ended up having to either start working or force themselves to study whatever crappy useless major, which no companies in Malaysia would hire for, that was given by the local universities and hopefully get a job. Some have taken risks by getting loans, which will be a huge burden on their families, to study in colleges or oversea universities.
I, among the many other who are studying in US, find that you get more financial aid here in US than you will ever get in Malaysia. Over here in US, the rights to get scholarship or financial aid is very fair. As long as you've met the requirement, you stand the chance to get it, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE, and WHERE YOU'RE FROM. This attracts both Americans and all the brains from other countries. This is what makes USA so successful!
If the "people" in Malaysia don't even attempt to keep their own people's brains, don't even think that you can keep brains from other country to stay in yours.
It's common sense, who would want to be a citizen of your country if you don't even help your own people?
If the "people" of Malaysia don't get this into their heads, the brain drain problem will never be alleviated. That's for sure.
Hi Anonymous,
Thanks for reading and your comment. I will still try exhausting options to obtain a scholarship while praying there's hope somewhere out there for my country.
Cheers. Thanks again. All the best to you in everything
Post a Comment